U.S. NEWS and World Reports ranks the Outer Banks as the #1 Best Family Beach Vacation in the U.S.A.
Carova is located at the end of the road. It is 4 wheel drive access only and no paved roads. This 11 mile stretch of unspoiled beaches from Corolla to Virginia is the home of the Wild Spanish Mustang Horses. On any given day you can see the horses roaming about. Carova is the most northern beach of the Outer Banks with beautiful beaches and National Wildlife Refuge.
For more information, visit carovabeach.info
USA Today described Corolla Beaches as “One of the best undiscovered beaches on the East Coast” with “wide beaches, large dunes and clean water.”
Until the 1980’s, this large stretch of land we call Corolla was undeveloped. Now it is known for beautiful beaches, gorgeous beach homes, fine dining, shopping, a premier Reese Jones Golf Course and FAMILY FUN! The beaches are not crowded and the water is warm and clear. During the summer, most families spend the day at the beach, pool, and the house that they are renting. The day is spent surfing the waves, relaxing on the beach, kite flying, playing horseshoes, volley ball, biking, poolside, and unwinding in the hot tub. Evenings are spent with families walking on the beach, playing games, flashlighting crabs under the light of the moon, and strolling along the ocean side under the stars. The moon and stars are amazing in Corolla because there are no “big city” lights to detract from the natural beauty of the stars.
There are plenty of family fun attractions in Corolla. One can climb the 214 steps of the 1875 Currituck Lighthouse to see the sound and ocean views that are breathtaking. Take time to see the 1920’s restored Whalehead Club, Wildlife Education Center and historic Corolla Village’s chapel and school house area while you are here.
For more information, visit corollaguide.com
Duck is a quaint town that is located between the ocean and the sound. Here you can enjoy the many specialty shops and restaurants. You can walk or bike to everything in Duck. There are bike paths, a sound front park and walkway along the picturesque sound front.
For more information, visit townofduck.com
Southern Shores NC
Southern Shores is a beautiful town with lovely ocean beaches and canals to access the sound. The town of Southern Shores stretches from the Currituck Sound to the Ocean. Southern Shores has bike path, walking paths, shopping, restaurants and the Duck Woods Golf Course.
For more information, visit southernshores-nc.gov
Kitty Hawk, NC
The Town of Kitty Hawk offers year-round residents and visitors alike a unique and relaxing environment. The Town consists of a thriving Village that has been around for generations, a newer beach community of residential cottages, and a maritime forest called Kitty Hawk Woods. The Woods feature a wide variety of plant and animal life.
For more information, visit kittyhawknc.gov
To name a few of the Things to do:
- OCEAN CLUB CENTRE – You will find ABC Liquor Store, Southern Insurance, Blue Water Seafood Market, several restaurants- Metropolis, Currituck Outer Banks Visitor Center, and Corolla Beach Realty.
- TimBuck ll – 60 unique shops from clothing boutiques to surf shops and restaurants. Plus mini raceway with go-karts & bumper cars, miniature golf, parasailing, paddle boats, kayak and jet ski rentals.
- Shopping at Corolla Light Shops, Monteray Plaza, Corolla Village, Currituck Shops and more shopping in Duck
- Golfing at the Currituck Club and Duck Woods Country Club
- Jeep rentals to explore the 4 wheel drive areas and to see the wild horses that roam the beach
- Charter fishing, dolphin tours, sailing, and wind surfing
- Wright Brothers Memorial in Kill Devil Hills
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park in Nags Head – Giant Active Sand Dune System
- Lost Colony, Elizabethan Gardens, and The NC Aquarium in Manteo